MINISTER(S) RESPONSIBLE FOR APPROPRIATIONS: Minister for Sport and Recreation (M64)
ADMINISTERING DEPARTMENT: Ministry for Culture and Heritage
MINISTER RESPONSIBLE FOR MINISTRY FOR CULTURE AND HERITAGE: Minister for Arts, Culture and Heritage
Overview of the Vote
The Minster for Sport and Recreation is responsible for appropriations in the Vote for the 2013/14 financial year covering the following:
- a total of over $58 million for support for High Performance Sport, supplied by Sport New Zealand
- a total of over $4 million to provide scholarships enabling talented New Zealanders to pursue tertiary study and elite level sport development concurrently, and/or to develop skills that contribute to the quality of New Zealand's sport performance at the elite level
- a total of over $19 million for a wide range of functions to benefit sport and physical recreation within New Zealand, and policy advice on sport and physical recreation matters, supplied by Sport New Zealand
- a total of over $2 million for the drug testing of sports persons, providing information and education on the anti-doping regime, and servicing international anti-doping arrangements, supplied by Drug Free Sport New Zealand (DFSNZ)
- a total of $44,000 for miscellaneous grants supporting sport and recreation activity, and
- a total of $318,000 for advice on the performance of sport and recreation Crown entities, and support for board appointment processes, supplied by the Ministry for Culture and Heritage.
Details of these appropriations are set out in Parts 2-6 for Vote Sport and Recreation in the Information Supporting the Estimates of Appropriations.
Details of Appropriations
Details of Annual and Permanent Appropriations
|Titles and Scopes of Appropriations by Appropriation Type||Budgeted|
Departmental Output Expenses
Purchase Advice and Monitoring of Sport and Recreation Crown Entities (M64)This appropriation is limited to provision of purchase advice and monitoring of Sport New Zealand and DFSNZ, including advice in relation to appointments to boards.
Total Departmental Output Expenses
Non-Departmental Output Expenses
High Performance Sport (M64)This appropriation is limited to delivery of initiatives aimed at improved sports performance at the elite level.
Sport and Recreation Programmes (M64)This appropriation is limited to delivery of programmes in accordance with Sport New Zealand's statutory functions to promote, encourage and support sport and recreation in New Zealand, and the provision of policy advice on and information relating to sport and recreation, including ministerial servicing.
Sports Anti-Doping (M64)This appropriation is limited to purchasing from Drug Free Sport New Zealand the provision of: drug testing of sports persons; investigations of possible anti-doping rule violations; information and education on the anti-doping regime; and international anti-doping obligations and related activities.
Total Non-Departmental Output Expenses
Non-Departmental Other Expenses
Miscellaneous Grants (M64)Discretionary funding is provided on application to groups, individuals and organisations that are unable to obtain support through organisations such as Sport New Zealand, local government, or the New Zealand Lottery Grants Board, to support sports-related initiatives including participation in sport and recreation activities.
Prime Minister's Sport Scholarships (M64)This appropriation is limited to sport scholarships to enable talented New Zealanders to pursue tertiary study and elite sport development and/or to develop skills that contribute to the quality of New Zealand's sport performance at the elite level.
Total Non-Departmental Other Expenses
Total Annual and Permanent Appropriations