The Treasury has released documents relating to Budget 2016 in response to and in anticipation of requests for Budget-related information. The documents released here are among the most frequently requested under the Official Information Act.
See Budget 2016 for access to the core Budget documents such as the Budget Speech, Executive Summary and Fiscal Strategy Report.
Pages Comprising this Information Release
There are seven pages comprising the Budget 2016 (14 July 2016) Information Release:
- [This Page] Home - Budget 2016 Information Release
- Key Documents - Covering:
- Design of the Budget process
- Budget strategy
- Budget Ministers' briefings
- Budget Package Cabinet paper
- Cabinet minutes related to the Budget strategy and Budget Package Cabinet papers
- Applied Examples of CBAx - Material released December 2016 - Budget 2016 required impact analysis using the cost benefit analysis CBAx tool.
- Other Papers Relating to Specific Portfolios:
- Arts, Culture and Heritage
- Canterbury Earthquake Recovery
- Defence & Defence Force
- Economic Development and Employment
- Education & Education Review Office
- Environment & Climate Change
- Foreign Affairs
- Internal Affairs
- Maori Development
- Office of the Clerk
- Pacific Peoples
- Parliamentary Service
- Primary Industries
- Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Science and Innovation
- Social Development
- Sport & Recreation
- State Services
- Tertiary Education
Information Withheld from Documents#
Key to sections of the Official Information Act 1982 under which information has been withheld.
Certain information in this document has been withheld under one or more of the following sections of the Official Information Act, as applicable:
-  6(a) to prevent prejudice to the security or defence of New Zealand or the international relations of the government
-  6(c) to prevent prejudice to the maintenance of the law, including the prevention, investigation, and detection of offences, and the right to a fair trial
-  6(e)(vi) to damage seriously the economy of New Zealand by disclosing prematurely decisions to change or continue government economic or financial policies relating to the entering into of overseas trade agreements.
-  9(2)(a) to protect the privacy of natural persons, including deceased people
-  9(2)(b)(ii) to protect the commercial position of the person who supplied the information or who is the subject of the information
-  9(2)(ba)(i) to prevent prejudice to the supply of similar information, or information from the same source, and it is in the public interest that such information should continue to be supplied
-  9(2)(ba)(ii) to protect information which is subject to an obligation of confidence or which any person has been or could be compelled to provide under the authority of any enactment, where the making available of the information - would be likely otherwise to damage the public interest
-  9(2)(d) to avoid prejudice to the substantial economic interests of New Zealand
-  9(2)(f)(ii) to maintain the current constitutional conventions protecting collective and individual ministerial responsibility
-  9(2)(f)(iv) to maintain the current constitutional conventions protecting the confidentiality of advice tendered by ministers and officials
-  9(2)(g)(i) to maintain the effective conduct of public affairs through the free and frank expression of opinions
-  9(2)(h) to maintain legal professional privilege
-  9(2)(i) to enable the Crown to carry out commercial activities without disadvantages or prejudice
-  9(2)(j) to enable the Crown to negotiate without disadvantage or prejudice
-  9(2)(k) to prevent the disclosure of official information for improper gain or improper advantage
- [s18(c)(i)] that the making available of the information requested would be contrary to the provisions of a specified enactment
-  Not in scope
Where information has been withheld, a numbered reference to the applicable section of the Official Information Act has been made, as listed above. For example, a  appearing where information has been withheld in a release document refers to section 9(2)(a).
In preparing this Information Release, the Treasury has considered the public interest considerations in section 9(1) of the Official Information Act.