The Treasury has released documents relating to Budget 2013 in response to and in anticipation of requests for Budget-related information. The documents released here are among the most frequently requested under the Official Information Act.
See Budget 2013 for access to the core Budget documents such as the Budget Speech, Executive Summary and Fiscal Strategy Report. See also previous Budget information releases back to Budget 2005.
On 2 September 2013 two papers relating to Vote Foreign Affairs were added to this release.
Pages comprising this Information Release
There are six pages comprising the Budget 2013 (5 July & 2 September 2013) Information Release:
- [This Page] Home - Budget 2013 Information Release
- Key Documents - Covering:
- Design of the Budget process
- Budget strategy
- Budget Ministers' briefings
- Budget Package Cabinet paper
- Cabinet minutes related to the Budget strategy and Budget Package Cabinet papers
- Other Papers Relating to Specific Votes:
- Canterbury Earthquake Recovery
- Consumer Affairs
- Defence and Defence Force
- Economic Development
- Education and Education Review Office
- Environment and Climate Change
- Food Safety
- Foreign Affairs
- Internal Affairs
- Maori Affairs
- Office of the Clerk
- Pacific Island Affairs
- Parliamentary Service
- Primary Industries
- Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Science and Innovation
- Security and Intelligence
- Serious Fraud
- Social Development
- State Services
- Tertiary Education
- Treaty Negotiations
- Veterans' Affairs - Defence Force
- Veterans' Affairs - Social Developement
Information Withheld from Documents#
Key to sections of the Official Information Act 1982 under which information has been withheld.
Certain information in the attached documents has been withheld under one or more of the following sections of the Official Information Act, as applicable:
-  6(a) - to prevent prejudice to the security or defence of New Zealand or the international relations of the government
-  6(c) - to prevent prejudice to the maintenance of the law, including the prevention, investigation, and detection of offences, and the right to a fair trial
-  9(2)(a) - to protect the privacy of natural persons, including deceased people
-  9(2)(b)(ii) - to protect the commercial position of the person who supplied the information or who is the subject of the information
-  9(2)(d) - to avoid prejudice to the substantial economic interests of New Zealand
-  9(2)(f)(iv) - to maintain the current constitutional conventions protecting the confidentiality of advice tendered by ministers and officials
-  9(2)(g)(i) - to maintain the effective conduct of public affairs through the free and frank expression of opinions
-  9(2)(h) - to maintain legal professional privilege
-  9(2)(i) - to enable the Crown to carry out commercial activities without disadvantage or prejudice
-  9(2)(j) - to enable the Crown to negotiate without disadvantage or prejudice
-  9(2)(k) - to prevent the disclosure of official information for improper gain or improper advantage
-  Not in scope
-  7(b) - to prevent prejudice to relations between any of the Governments of New Zealand, the Cook Islands or Niue
-  9(2)(ba)(i) - to prevent prejudice to the supply of similar information, or information from the same source, and it is in the public interest that such information should continue to be supplied.
Where information has been withheld, a numbered reference to the applicable section of the Official Information Act has been made, as listed above. For example, a  appearing where information has been withheld in a release document refers to section 9(2)(b)(ii).
In preparing this Information Release, the Treasury has considered the public interest considerations in section 9(1) of the Official Information Act.