The Treasury will publish the Pre-election Economic and Fiscal Update (PREFU) 2023 on Tuesday 12 September 2023. All documents will be published on the Treasury’s website shortly after 1.00pm on the day.
Journalists and analysts are invited to register their interest in attending a briefing under embargo and other conditions, outlined below.
The restricted briefing will commence at 11.00am and finish at 1.00pm on Tuesday 12 September on Level 3 of The Treasury, 1 The Terrace, Wellington. Doors open at 10.30am.
Secretary to the Treasury Caralee McLiesh will open the restricted briefing, after which the embargoed PREFU information will be distributed. The Minister of Finance, the Hon Grant Robertson, is expected to arrive shortly after midday to give a presentation, before opening the floor to questions.
Please register your interest in attending the restricted briefing by emailing [email protected] by 5.00pm Friday 25 August.
If your news organisation requires camera crew and equipment at the restricted briefing, please indicate that with your registration of interest.
The Treasury will aim to contact those who have registered an interest to attend by 5.00pm Friday 1 September to confirm or discuss registration applications.
Attendance is restricted
Attendance at this event is by confirmed registration only, with numbers restricted by the space available. Priority will be given to journalists from national and international news organisations and to economic and financial analysts attached to either financial institutions or national organisations that provide relevant specialist advisory services. Although we will make efforts to accommodate everyone, the number of people attending from any one organisation may be limited and some registrations of interest to attend may be declined.
Restricted briefing rules
By registering your interest to attend, you agree to respect the rules of the PREFU restricted briefing. Compliance with the rules will be monitored and is taken seriously. Any individual or organisation that breaches the embargo rules may be refused permission to attend future restricted briefings hosted by the Treasury.
The restricted briefing rules are:
- All attendees must individually accept the restricted briefing rules via email to [email protected].
- All attendees must also sign a hard copy of the restricted briefing rules on arrival at the Treasury.
- No information (including but not limited to text, voice, images or data) may be transmitted, received or released in any manner from the restricted briefing from 11.00am until the embargo is lifted at 1.00pm on Tuesday 12 September 2023. Please note this includes social media. This restriction applies irrespective of whether the information is about the PREFU or not.
- Mobile phones must be turned off or switched to flight mode until the embargo is lifted.
- No one will be permitted to leave the venue once PREFU information has been distributed. Bathrooms are located within the venue.
- At 12:55pm attendees will be permitted to start preparations to transmit information.
- At 1.00pm Treasury staff will announce the end of the lock-up, which is when information may be transmitted and when attendees may leave the venue.
- In the unlikely event that the building must be evacuated before 1.00pm due to an emergency, the embargo will not be lifted. Attendees will be directed to leave immediately but they will not be allowed to transmit or communicate PREFU information.
For enquiries and to register your interest in attending the restricted briefing, please contact: [email protected]