September 2020 - Update #5
In September 2018 the Treasury launched a refresh of the Better Business Cases framework.
This month we have released three updates:
- Business Case Scoping document. This update:
- Renames the document from ‘Point of entry document’, which feedback indicates was poorly understood, to something that better explains its use
- Introduces a new requirement to identify an agency executive or senior manager accountable for each of the 5 Cases, to emphasise the requirement for an agency to own the business case
- Refines and explains the costs that can be attributed to Business Case development and which are wider project costs
- Updates links and references to the Infrastructure Commission Te Waihanga, Digital Public Service branch and New Zealand Government Procurement and Property.
- Implementation Business Case documents. This update:
- Updates and integrates guidance and template into a single document
- Moves from a document that duplicates the content of others to one that summarises and references them; noting that they must be available to reviewers on request
- Updates references and links to benefits management, procurement requirements and requirements to engage with the New Zealand Infrastructure Commission
- Provides an updated Reviewer Assessment Tool.
- Indicative Business Case guidance and Template. Minor update:
- Detailed guidance on the Options Framework moved to an annex rather than included in the body of the document
- Inclusion of references to the NZ Government’s Broader procurement outcomes.
- Updated links to material and requirements of the New Zealand Infrastructure Commission Te Waihanga, Digital Public Service branch, Public Service Commission, and New Zealand Government Procurement and Property.
As we complete further updates we’ll be listing them here. Watch this space!