In July 2013 the Government asked the New Zealand Productivity Commission to investigate how to make overall improvements in the design and operation of regulatory regimes in New Zealand. The Commission produced an Issues Paper in August 2013, a draft report in March 2014 and a final report in July 2014.
The Commission's final report, Regulatory Institutions and Practices and other material can be found here on the Commission's website.
In July 2015 the Treasury released the Government Response to the Commission's report.
The relevant media statement from the Minister for Regulatory Reform can be found on the Beehive website:
- Hon Steven Joyce, Minister for Regulatory Reform: Government drive to lift regulatory quality (28 Jul 2015)
Further to the Government's release of its response, the Treasury released on 18 December 2015 material relevant to its analysis of the report and preparation of the Government's response. This material includes briefing notes to the Minister of Finance on the Commission's draft and final reports, and internal and interdepartmental presentations and discussion.
Using PDF Files
Acronyms and Abbreviations
The following guide to acronyms and abbreviations may be helpful:
- BPS: Better Public Services - see www.ssc.govt.nz/better-public-services
- Cabguide: Guide to Cabinet and Cabinet Committee processes - see www.cabguide.cabinetoffice.govt.nz
- The Centre: The Treasury, State Services Commission and the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet (DPMC)
- FSSM: The Treasury's Fiscal and State Sector Management team
- LAC: the Legislation Advisory Committee, now remodelled into the Legislation Design and Advisory Committee - see www.lac.org.nz.
- MAGNet: The interdepartmental Monitoring, Appointments and Governance network, bringing together Departmental officials with responsibility for oversight of non-departmental public bodies.
- MoU: Memorandum of Understanding
- NZQA: New Zealand Qualifications Authority - see www.nzqa.govt.nz
- OLAG: The Treasury's Outcome Leaders' Action Group
- PCO: Parliamentary Counsel Office - see www.pco.parliament.govt.nz
- PIF: Performance Improvement Framework - see www.ssc.govt.nz/performance-improvement-framework
- RIA: Regulatory Impact Assessment
- RQT: The Treasury's Regulatory Quality Team
- SoI: Statement of Intent
- SSC: State Services Commission
Contact for EnquiriesRegulatory Quality Team