The Treasury

Global Navigation

Personal tools

You are here: Home > State Sector > Social Housing Transfers > Christchurch social housing transfer


Christchurch social housing transfer

Page updated 20 Jun 2017

Three community housing providers have been shortlisted to provide formal, fully costed proposals for the transfer of up to 2,500 Housing New Zealand properties and tenancies in Christchurch.

They are:

  • Community Futures Christchurch, a consortium whose members are the community housing provider Trust House Limited, Whitehelm Capital Pty Ltd, and Broadspectrum (New Zealand) Limited
  • Ōtautahi Community Housing Consortium, made up of the community housing provider Ōtautahi Community Housing Trust and Morrison & Co PPP GP 2 Limited
  • A third consortium whose members are the community housing provider Compass Housing Services Co (New Zealand) Limited, AMP Capital Investors Limited, and Brookfield Financial Australia Securities Limited

The Government is seeking a community housing provider who can bring fresh thinking to how tenants are supported, and how properties are managed.

The transfer is part of the Government’s Social Housing Reform Programme aimed at improving social housing for those most in need.

While the ownership of the social houses may change, the houses will remain as social houses, just as they are now.  Tenants will transfer with the properties.  Rent paid by the tenants won’t change as a result of the transfer, and nor will tenants’ rights, including their eligibility for social housing.

Those short-listed have until 25 September to each submit a formal, fully costed proposal.

The Government expects to announce the preferred bidder in November, and to have a new landlord in place by the middle of 2018.

Housing New Zealand will continue to have up to 3300 properties in Christchurch.

Read the media release from Finance Minister Steven Joyce and Social Housing Minister Amy Adams - Shortlist announced for Christchurch social housing transfer

The Information Memorandum released last year for the Christchurch transfer can be downloaded here: Christchurch Information Memorandum (PDF 1,979 KB)

If you are interested in being kept up to date with the progress of social housing transfers please email and we will add you to our database. You can also email us at this address if you have any questions.

Read Ministers’ other media releases on the proposed social housing transfer in Christchurch:

For further background information on social housing transfers, see the Documents section at the bottom of the Social Housing Transfers page.


Documents are available in Adobe PDF format only. HTML versions can be supplied on request from Information Services at the Treasury. Using PDF Files
Page top