Social Housing Transactions
Page updated 25 Sep 2015
The Social Housing Reform Programme (SHRP) is designed to get more people in need into quality social housing. It builds on a number of measures taken over recent years to provide more New Zealanders in need with quality and affordable housing.
The SHRP includes the transfer of Housing New Zealand (HNZ) houses to community housing providers to support the development of the community housing sector.
The Treasury’s role on the SHRP includes:
- Providing advice and guidance on the overall programme and its initiatives
- Managing the transaction process to transfer HNZ houses to community housing providers
- Alongside the Ministry of Social Development (MSD), managing the Request for Information process to identify further opportunities for social housing.
For more on the wider social housing reforms, including the latest news and information for existing social housing tenants, see the SHRP website.
Initial Public Engagement on Social Housing
The Government completed a programme of public engagement on its social housing reforms in early 2015. This included six public meetings around the country that provided an overview of the reforms and an opportunity to provide feedback. See Initial Public Engagement for more information.
Social House Transfers
The proposed transfers to registered community housing providers will bundle together houses that are currently owned by Housing New Zealand, an obligation to continue the existing tenancies, and IRRS revenue paid to the new operator. The first transfers are being considered for about 1500 houses and tenancies in Tauranga and Invercargill. The current tenants’ entitlement to social housing will be protected in any transfer, and the houses must be used for social housing unless the Government agrees otherwise. See Tauranga and Invercargill Transfers for more information on the transaction process.
Request for Information: Identifying Further Opportunities for Social Housing
Treasury and the Ministry of Social Development have initiated an ongoing Request for Information (RFI) to identify further opportunities for the supply or transfer of social housing, particularly in areas of high demand.
The Government wants to hear from parties interested in the:
- Transfer of existing HNZ properties and tenancies for ongoing social housing purposes (these may occur over several years, although we are interested in identifying the transfers that might follow Tauranga and Invercargill, should the Government decide to proceed).
- Redevelopment of land they own, or intend to acquire, for new social housing or a mix of social and affordable housing, in high-demand areas like Auckland, Christchurch, Waikato, Wellington, Northland and Bay of Plenty
See Request for Information (RFI) for more information.
Register Your Interest
If you are interested in being kept up to date with the progress of social housing transactions please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will add you to our database. You can also email us at this address if you have any questions. Please note that if you wish to participate in the Tauranga and Invercargill transfers you need to register on www.gets.govt.nz.
If you are interested in acquiring empty, surplus state houses email Housing New Zealand at email@example.com.
If you are interested in registering as a community housing provider please go to www.shu.govt.nz/chra-home.