Public Private Partnership Projects
Page updated 30 Jan 2017
New Zealand PPP projects to date include projects in the Education, Corrections and Transport sectors. New Zealand’s eighth PPP is currently in procurement.
Current PPP Projects:
- Hobsonville Schools PPP (primary and secondary schools at Hobsonville Point) – completed in 2013 and now in operating phase (education services provided by the Ministry of Education).
- Auckland South Correctional Facility (Wiri Prison – a 960 bed men’s prison) completed in 2015 and now operating (custodial services provided by the PPP contractor).
- Transmission Gully expressway (27km expressway, Wellington) due to be completed in 2020.
- Schools 2 PPP (a bundle of 4 schools in Canterbury, Auckland and Queenstown) due to be completed in 2016 (for opening term 1, 2017) and 2017 (Queenstown - for opening term 1, 2018).
- Auckland Prison (new maximum security facility and refurbishment of existing facility at Paremoremo Prison) due to be completed in 2017 (opening June 2018).
- Pūhoi to Warkworth state highway (18 km expressway, Auckland) – contractual close achieved Nov 2016, due to be completed in 2022.
Projects currently under procurement or consideration include:
- Schools PPP3 (an initial bundle of five schools in Auckland, Hamilton and Christchurch) is due to reach contractual close April 2017.
- Waikeria Prison (a new 1,500 bed facility) commenced procurement in January 2017 and is due to reach contractual close mid-2018.
- New Zealand Defence Force hospitality project (new accommodation and associated services) indicative business case due mid-2017.