Strategic Intentions and Statements of Intent
Page updated 17 Dec 2015
This page provides information which supports agencies to develop their strategy (including Four Year Plans) and to periodically advise Parliament and other readers of their strategic intentions.
Developing and Reviewing
- Performance and Financial Management Cycle Diagram
- Four Year Plans (SSC website) - Four-year Plans are designed to provide an integrated view of an agency’s (or sector’s) medium-term strategy. The 4YP process has been designed so that agencies can structure the front part of their 4YP in a way that it can be used to meet the requirements in the Public Finance Act 1989 with respect to information on their strategic intentions.
- Better Business Cases - BBC is a structured way that agencies can work through to provide a business case.
Producing Strategic Intentions / Statement of Intent
- Performance Expectations: What's Intended to Be Achieved (December 2013)
Departments and Crown entities are required to set out the strategic objectives that their agency intends to achieve or contribute to. The purpose of this guidance is to assist agencies in thinking about their strategic intentions so that meaningful external information is produced.
- Performance Expectations: How Performance Will Be Assessed (December 2013)
Each Crown entity must explain in its statement of intent how the entity proposes to assess its performance. This guidance will also assist departments in setting up their performance reporting.
Public Finance Act - Departments' Strategic Intentions
- Public Finance Act 1989 and Public Finance Amendment Act 2013
- Public Finance Act: Strategic Intentions Guidance (December 2015)