Strategic Intentions and Statements of Intent
Page updated 7 Mar 2014
This page provides information which supports agencies to periodically advise Parliament and other readers of their strategic intentions.
Developing and Reviewing
- Performance and Financial Management Cycle Diagram
- Four Year Plans (SSC website) - Once a department’s Four-year Plan is settled and any approvals have been obtained the thinking behind this document can be used to prepare a new SOI if the current SOI needs replacing.
- Better Business Cases (National Infrastructure Unit website) - BBC is a structured way that agencies can work through to provide a business case.
Producing strategic intentions / statement of intent
- Performance Expectations: What's Intended to Be Achieved (December 2013)
Departments and Crown entities are required to set out the strategic objectives that their agency intends to achieve or contribute to. The purpose of this guidance is to assist agencies in thinking about their strategic intentions so that meaningful external information is produced.
- Performance Expectations: How Performance Will Be Assessed (December 2013)
Each Crown entity must explain in its statement of intent how the entity proposes to assess its performance. This guidance will also assist departments in setting up their performance reporting.
- Public Finance Act 1989 and Public Finance Amendment Act 2013
- Crown Entities Act 2004 and Crown Entities Amendment Act 2013