Statements on New Zealand's Long-Term Fiscal Position
Page updated 22 Nov 2016
The Public Finance Act 1989 requires Treasury to produce a statement on the Crown’s long-term fiscal position at least every four years. These statements provide 40-year projections on the fiscal position, identify challenges that will face future governments, such as those arising from society's ageing population, and provide members of the public with information on evidence-based options for meeting those challenges.
He Tirohanga Mokopuna, the Treasury's 2016 Statement on the Long-Term Fiscal Position was published on 22 November 2016.
Previous statements are:
- Affording Our Future (2013)
- Challenges and Choices: New Zealand's Long-term Fiscal Statement (2009)
- New Zealand's Long-term Fiscal Position (2006).
Past speeches by Treasury leaders on New Zealand's long-term fiscal outlook can be found at:
- Growing Our Economic Capital: Investing in Sustainable Improvement in Our Wellbeing (3 November 2016)
- Opening address to A More Inclusive New Zealand Forum, Wellington (27 July 2015)
- Reclaiming Choice: Making Informed Decisions about our Natural Resources (11 June 2015)
- A Powerful Moment: Raising Living Standards with Tangata Whenua (2 September 2014)
- Opening address delivered to He Tai Pari Conference (14 July 2014)
- Doing different to get different... realising New Zealand's potential (10 December 2013)
- Speech Notes at the Media Conference for the Release of Affording Our Future (11 July 2013)
- Welcoming Address to Affording Our Future Conference (10 December 2012)
- How does the Treasury’s Long-Term Fiscal Model work, and what is our initial analysis showing? (10 December 2012)
- Long-Term Fiscal Outlook: A View From Treasury (22 July 2010)
- New Zealand's Long-term Fiscal Statement Challenges and Choices (29 October 2009)
- New Zealand's Fiscal Policy Choices - The Big Picture (13 December 2007)
- Beyond 2010 - Preparing for Tomorrow's Economic Challenges Today (26 July 2006)
- Facing Fiscal Futures (28 June 2006).
Research and other information includes:
- Long-term Fiscal Models - The models used for the projections in current and previous Long-term Fiscal Statements can be downloaded in MS Excel format.
- Challenges and Choices: Modelling New Zealand's Long-term Fiscal Position (Working Paper 10/01) - Provides further detail on the modelling used in Challenges and Choices.
- Modelling New Zealand's Long-term Fiscal Position (Policy Perspectives Paper 06/01) - Outlines the methodologies and modelling techniques used in preparing the original 2006 Long-term Fiscal Statement.