Affording Our Future Conference 2012
Page updated Jan 04, 2013
|Date/Time||10-11 Dec 2012|
|Location||Rutherford House, Lecture Theatre 1, Pipitea Campus, Victorua University of Wellington|
Ahead of the publication of the next long-term fiscal statement in March 2013, Treasury in conjunction with Victoria University of Wellington Chair of Public Finance will co-sponsor a two-day conference on Affording Our Future on 10 and 11 December 2012.
This conference will discuss a range of topics including:
- What is "fiscal sustainability" and how should we assess it?
- How has welfare policy evolved in New Zealand and what are the analytical approaches to inter- and intra-generational equity issues?
- What are the major fiscal pressures facing New Zealand?
- What are the implications of these pressures for policy areas such as tax, retirement income, and health care?
- What lessons can be learned from international experience?
- What bearing does political economy have on reform packages and their implementation?
The conference will bring together academic specialists, commentators and practitioners from a range of fields to discuss these issues which will likely affect a wide array of policy areas over the coming decades.
- Affording Our Future Conference 2012 (VUW website)