The New Zealand Economy
Page updated 15 Jul 2015
The Treasury provides the Government with strategic policy advice on the New Zealand economy and produces a range of publications and economic data to this end.
The Treasury's Role
The Treasury is the Government’s lead advisor on economic and financial policy, providing strategic advice on the current and future New Zealand economy. Its role is to help the Government achieve higher living standards for New Zealanders through economic growth.
The Treasury focuses its efforts in a number of key areas that support the Government’s goals and have a positive impact on the lives of New Zealanders. These outcomes – economic growth, macroeconomic stability and state sector performance – are closely linked and reflect the issues that the Treasury considers most important for economic growth – enhancing productivity growth, maintaining fiscal stability and lifting the performance of the state sector.
The Treasury also monitors and manages the financial affairs of the Government, and assesses public sector proposals which have economic and financial implications.
As one of three central agencies, along with the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet and the State Services Commission, the Treasury is jointly responsible for providing leadership, coordination and monitoring across the entire public sector.
- New Zealand Economic and Financial Overview 2015 - An overview of the structure and performance of the New Zealand economy.
- Monthly Economic Indicators - A monthly summary of recent economic indicators that includes data tables and charts and analysis of a special topic.
- Economic Impact Reports - Advice to ministers on the economic impacts of recent world events or scenarios relating to potential shocks.
- Forecasts - Economic and Fiscal Updates are published at least twice a year as part of the Budget process by the Treasury and include a chapter focussing on the outlook for the New Zealand economy.
- Statistics New Zealand is the primary source of data relating to the performance of the New Zealand economy.
- Data - Summary tables of key quarterly and monthly economic indicators.
- Tax Outturn Data - Monthly tables showing revenue and receipts from departments collecting taxes, excise duties. Tax outturn data can be used as an early indicator of the performance of the New Zealand economy.