NZ Budget App
Page updated 4 May 2015
This page contains information about the NZ Budget app, links to the app, related media statements, and source code for the app.
The Treasury launched the NZ Budget app for Android, iPhone and iPad in May 2012.
The app provides easy access to Budget-related videos, Ministers' media statements, the Minister of Finance's Budget Speech, the Executive Summary, the Fiscal Strategy Report 2015, the Treasury’s forecasts in the Budget Economic and Fiscal Update 2015, the latest Key Facts for Taxpayers and the Monthly Economic Indicators (MEI).
The Budget 2013 update introduced a number of new features that have been updated for Budget 2014:
- Interactive pie charts covering government expenditure and revenue to help users better understand the New Zealand Government’s finances.
- An interactive tax calculator (My Tax Dollars) to help users better understand where their tax dollars are being spent.
- Inclusion of the Treasury's latest Monthly Economic Indicators reports.
The Budget 2015 update introduced a number of new features and improvements:
- App is now compatible with iOS8.
- Improvements to support iPhone 6 devices.
- Improved sorting and selection of Ministers' Budget media releases - by name and portfolio.
- Additional information being displayed in the Revenue and Expenditure pie charts - $ totals and additional text prompts.
- In My Tax Dollars - select Edit to type in taxable income figures.
- Active pages remain highlighted in the menu slider.
Read related media statements by Hon Bill English, Minister of Finance, on the Beehive website:
- Updated Budget 2013 app goes interactive (14 May 2013)
- Government App to be updated for HYEFU (15 December 2012)
- Budget 2012 goes high tech with new app (22 May 2012)
- Budget 2012 app popular new initiative (28 May 2012) - Includes details of the NZ Budget App's development cost.
How to Get the App
On your device you can go to the App Store or Google Play and search for NZ Budget.
There is no charge for the NZ Budget app.
How the App Works
The app will not be loaded with Budget 2015 data until after the embargo on Budget documents ends at 2pm on Budget Day, 21 May 2015.
The app will link to the Estimates material that will be available from the Budget website, which has a responsive design that is optimised for small devices.
The Android app was developed using Open Source libraries and technologies, and we are pleased to release the source code for both the iOS and Android versions of the app.
- This is the source code that was released to us by PaperKite (http://www.paperkite.co.nz), the developers we worked with to create the app.
- The Treasury is not in a position to offer any technical support for the use of this source code.
- We are releasing the source code as ZIP archives because the Treasury is not in a position to utilise public source code repositories.
- Current App:
- 2013 App:
- 2012 App:
The Treasury welcomes feedback on the NZ Budget app.