Page updated 3 Jul 2014, 3.27pm
This is the home page for Budget 2014 for the government of New Zealand. Hon Bill English is Minister of Finance.
Budget 2014 Information Release
The Treasury published on 3 July 2014 background information relating to Budget 2014 decisions. See Budget 2014 Information Release
Documents Tabled on 15 May 2014
The core Budget documents available on the Treasury website are listed below. Most of these documents are tabled in Parliament by the Minister of Finance on Budget Day, 15 May 2014.
- Minister's Executive Summary
- The Executive Summary is the overview of all the Budget information and contains the main points for the media and general public. It summarises the Government's spending decisions and main issues raised in the Budget Speech, the Fiscal Strategy Report and the Budget Economic and Fiscal Update.
- Budget Speech
- The Budget Speech is the Minister of Finance's speech delivering the Budget Statement at the start of Parliament's Budget debate. The Budget Statement generally focuses on the overall fiscal and economic position, the Government's policy priorities and how those priorities will be funded.
- Fiscal Strategy Report
- The Fiscal Strategy Report sets out the Government's fiscal strategy in areas such as the balance between operating revenues and expenses, and its debt objectives. The 2014 report includes fiscal trends covering at least the next 10 years and the Government's long term fiscal objectives. The Government must explain changes in, and/or inconsistencies between, the Fiscal Strategy Report, the Budget Policy Statement and the previous year's Fiscal Strategy Report.
- Budget Economic and Fiscal Update (BEFU) 2014
- The Update includes the Treasury's overall economic forecasts and the forecast financial statements of the Government, along with the implications of government financial decisions and other information relevant to the fiscal and economic position.
- Estimates of Appropriations for the Government of New Zealand for the Year Ending 30 June 2015
- The Estimates outlines for the financial year about to start (the Budget year) expenses and capital expenditure the Government plans to incur on specified areas within each Vote, and capital injections it plans to make to individual departments. The Estimates is organised on the basis of 10 sector volumes, with each Vote allocated to one sector. Supporting information in the Estimates summarises the new policy initiatives and trend information for each Vote and provides information on what is intended to be achieved with each appropriation in a Vote and how performance against each appropriation will be assessed and reported on after the end of the Budget year.
- Supplementary Estimates of Appropriations for the Government of New Zealand and Supporting Information for the Year Ending 30 June 2014
- The Supplementary Estimates outlines the additional expenses and capital expenditure required for the financial year about to end. The Supporting Information provides reasons for the changes to appropriations during the year, related changes in performance information and certain additional performance information for new appropriations.
Document Tabled on 17 December 2013
- Budget Policy Statement (BPS) 2014
- The Budget Policy Statement sets out the overarching policy goals that will guide the government's Budget decisions and the government's priorities for the forthcoming Budget.
Ministers' Budget-related Information
Material prepared by Ministers' offices to explain some of the key Budget initiatives is available from the Beehive website's Feature: Budget 2014 page.
Budget 2014 Information Release
The Treasury published on 15 May 2014 the first document in the Budget 2014 Information Release of background information relating to Budget 2014 decisions. A larger release of documents is planned for later in June. See Budget 2014 Information Release
Treasury Budget-related Information
Other material published by the Treasury includes:
- 2014 Tax Expenditure Statement (15 May 2014) - A preliminary list of spending delivered through the tax system.
- Key Facts for Taxpayers - Summary of tax, expenditure and income data from the Budget Economic and Fiscal Update (BEFU).
- 2014/15 Domestic Bond Programme Set at $8.0 Billion (New Zealand Debt Management Office) (15 May 2014)
- Estimates of Revenue Effects of Small Tax Rate and Tax Base Changes - Also known as the Ready Reckoner.
- Summary Tables for the Estimates of Appropriations 2014/15
- Summary Tables for the Supplementary Estimates of Appropriations 2013/14
- Budget Data - Excel workbooks, containing data as published in the Estimates of Appropriations 2014/15: appropriation expenditure, Crown revenue and capital receipts, and departmental Forecast Financial Statements.
- Fiscal Strategy Model
- New Zealand Superannuation (NZS) Fund Contribution Rate Model
- Budget Process - Overview of how the Budget process works in New Zealand.
- Putting It Together: An Explanatory Guide to New Zealand's State Sector Financial Management System (September 2011)