Page updated 5 Jul 2013, Noon
This is the home page for Budget 2013 for the government of New Zealand. Hon Bill English is Minister of Finance.
NZ Budget App
The Treasury has updated the NZ Budget app for Android, iPhone and iPad for Budget 2013. It's available now from the App Store or Google Play. Read more at NZ Budget App.
Mobile Site for Budget 2013
Browse to www.budget.govt.nz to access the Budget 2013 mobile site optimised for small devices that provides access to all key Budget documents for Budget 2013.
Budget 2013 Information Release
The Treasury published on 5 July 2013 background information relating to Budget 2013 decisions. See Budget 2013 Information Release
Documents Tabled on 16 May 2013
The core Budget documents available on the Treasury website are listed below. Most of these documents are tabled in Parliament by the Minister of Finance on Budget Day, 16 May 2013.
- Minister's Executive Summary
- The Executive Summary is the overview of all the Budget information and contains the main points for the media and general public. It summarises the Government's spending decisions and main issues raised in the Budget Speech, the Fiscal Strategy Report and the Budget Economic and Fiscal Update.
- Budget Speech
- The Budget Speech is the Minister of Finance's speech delivering the Budget Statement at the start of Parliament's Budget debate. The Budget Statement generally focuses on the overall fiscal and economic position, the Government's policy priorities and how those priorities will be funded.
- Fiscal Strategy Report
- The Fiscal Strategy Report sets out the Government's fiscal strategy in areas such as the balance between operating revenues and expenses, and debt objectives. The 2013 report includes fiscal trends covering at least the next 10 years and the Government's long term fiscal objectives. The Government must explain changes in, and/or inconsistencies between, the Fiscal Strategy Report, the Budget Policy Statement and the previous year's Fiscal Strategy Report.
- Budget Economic and Fiscal Update (BEFU) 2013
- The Update includes the Treasury's overall economic forecasts and the forecast financial statements of the Government, along with the implications of government financial decisions and other information relevant to the fiscal and economic position.
- Estimates of Appropriations for the Government of New Zealand for the Year Ending 30 June 2014
- Information Supporting the Estimates of Appropriations for the Government of New Zealand for the Year Ending 30 June 2014
- Supplementary Estimates of Appropriations for the Government of New Zealand and Supporting Information for the Year Ending 30 June 2013
Document Tabled on 18 December 2012
Ministers' Budget-related Information
Material prepared by Ministers' offices to explain some of the key Budget initiatives is available from the Beehive website's Feature: Budget 2013 page.
Treasury Budget-related Information
Other material published by the Treasury includes:
- 2013 Tax Expenditure Statement (5 July 2013) - A preliminary list of spending delivered through the tax system.
- Key Facts for Taxpayers - Summary of tax, expenditure and income data from the Budget Economic and Fiscal Update (BEFU).
- Borrowing Programme $3 billion Lower Over Forecast Period (New Zealand Debt Management Office)
- Estimates of Revenue Effects of Small Tax Rate and Tax Base Changes - Also known as the Ready Reckoner.
- Budget Data - Excel workbooks, containing data as published in the Estimates of Appropriations 2013/14: appropriation expenditure, Crown revenue and capital receipts, and departmental Forecast Financial Statements.
- Fiscal Strategy Model
- New Zealand Superannuation (NZS) Fund Contribution Rate Model
- Budget Process - Overview of how the Budget process works in New Zealand.
- Putting It Together: An Explanatory Guide to New Zealand's State Sector Financial Management System (September 2011)