Performance Information for Appropriations Vote Education
MINISTER(S) RESPONSIBLE FOR APPROPRIATIONS: Minister of Education (M26), Minister for Tertiary Education (M68)
ADMINISTERING DEPARTMENT: Ministry of Education
MINISTER RESPONSIBLE FOR MINISTRY OF EDUCATION : Minister of Education
Part 1 - Summary of the Vote
Part 1.1 - Overview of the Vote
The Minister of Education is responsible for appropriations in Vote Education for the 2011/12 financial year covering the following:
- A total of just over $1,812 million for services from the Ministry of Education (depreciation and capital charge on school accommodation and special education services being the most significant costs).
- A total of nearly $392 million for educational services from central education Crown entities (New Zealand Qualifications Authority and Career Services) and other non-departmental providers. The most significant costs are for professional development in the school and early childhood education sectors and school transport services.
- A total of just over $63 million for allowances, bursaries, scholarships (including national study awards for teachers) and grants.
- A total of just over $6,539 million for educational services from schools (including teacher salaries), early childhood education providers and other education providers.
- A total of just over $26 million for capital expenditure for Crown entities and schools.
- A total of nearly $547 million for capital expenditure by the Ministry of Education, mainly related to school sector property.
From 2011/12 a new Vote Tertiary Education has been created, which has incorporated funding for tertiary and international education that was previously appropriated under Vote Education.
Details of these appropriations are set out in Parts 2-6 below.