Budget Day 20 May 2010
Page updated 14 Dec 2010
This is the home page for Budget 2010 for the government of New Zealand. Hon Bill English is Minister of Finance.
Budget 2010 Information Release
The Treasury released on 7 July 2010 background papers relating to Budget 2010 - see Budget 2010 Information Release.
The core Budget documents available on the Treasury website are listed below. Most of these documents are tabled in Parliament by the Minister of Finance on Budget Day, 20 May 2010.
Documents Tabled on 14 December 2010
- 2010 Investment Statement of the Government of New Zealand
- The 2010 Investment Statement of the Government of New Zealand provides an overview of the significant assets and liabilities on the Crown’s balance sheet, how they have changed over time and how what the Crown owns and owes is forecast to change over the next five years.
- Half Year Economic and Fiscal Update (HYEFU) 2010
- The HYEFU includes the Treasury’s overall economic and fiscal forecasts and disclosure of fiscal risks.
Documents Tabled on Budget Day, 20 May 2010
- Minister's Executive Summary
- The Executive Summary is the overview of all the Budget information and contains the main points for the media and general public. It summarises the government's spending decisions and main issues raised in the Budget Speech, Budget Economic and Fiscal Update and Fiscal Strategy Report.
- Budget Speech
- The Budget Speech is the Minister of Finance's speech at the start of Parliament's Budget debate. The Speech generally focuses on the overall fiscal and economic position, the government's policy priorities and how those will be funded.
- Fiscal Strategy Report
- The Fiscal Strategy Report sets out the government's fiscal strategy and measures how the government is going against its overall goals in areas such as the balance between operating revenues and expenses, and achieving debt objectives. The 2010 report includes fiscal trends covering at least the next 10 years and the government's long-term fiscal objectives.
- Budget Economic and Fiscal Update 2010 (BEFU)
- This document includes Treasury's overall economic forecasts and forecast financial statements of the government. The Update includes the implications of government financial decisions and other information relevant to the fiscal and economic position. There is information available on this website that is not included in the printed documents.
- Estimates of Appropriations for the Government of New Zealand for the Year Ending 30 June 2011
- The Estimates outline expenses and capital expenditure the government plans to incur on specified areas within each Vote for the financial year about to start (the Budget year).
- Information Supporting the Estimates of Appropriations for the Government of New Zealand for the Year Ending 30 June 2011
- The Information Supporting the Estimates includes performance information for each Vote and forecast financial statements of departments that administer those Votes and references to the Statements of Intent of those departments.
- Supplementary Estimates of Appropriations for the Government of New Zealand and Supporting Information for the Year Ending 30 June 2010
- The Supplementary Estimates and Supporting Information show any changes to the amounts and purposes from information contained in the Estimates of Appropriations for 2009/10.
Document Tabled on 15 December 2009
- Budget Policy Statement (BPS) 2010
- The BPS 2010 sets out the overarching policy goals that will guide the government's Budget decisions and the government's priorities for the forthcoming Budget. BPS 2010 was published conjointly with the Half Year Economic and Fiscal Update (HYEFU) 2009 which contains the Treasury's economic and fiscal forecasts.
Ministers' Budget-Related Information
Material prepared by Ministers' offices and departments to explain some of the key Budget initiatives is available from the Beehive website's Budget 2010 page.
Treasury Budget-Related Information
Other material produced or published by the Treasury includes:
- Key Facts for Taxpayers - Summary of tax, expenditure and income data from the Budget Economic and Fiscal Update (BEFU).
- 2010 Tax Expenditure Statement - A preliminary list of spending delivered through the tax system.
- 2010/11 Domestic Debt Programme (NZDMO)
- Estimates of Revenue Effects of Small Tax Rate and Tax Base Changes
- Budget Data - Excel workbooks containing the source information for Appropriations tables, Revenue tables and departmental Forecast Financial Statements in the Budget 2010 documents.
- Fiscal Strategy Model
- New Zealand Superannuation (NZS) Fund Contribution Rate Model - Includes information on the impact of the eleven-year contribution holiday on the capital contributions and the size of the New Zealand Superannuation (NZS) Fund.
- Budget Process - Overview of how the Budget process works in New Zealand.
- A Guide to the Public Finance Act - This guide focuses on the legislative requirements of the Act in relation to departments, Offices of Parliament and the government as a whole.