Page updated 26 Oct 2012
This is the home page for Budget 2009 for the government of New Zealand. Hon Bill English is Minister of Finance. Budget documents were released on Budget Day - 28 May 2009.
The core Budget documents available on the Treasury web site are listed below. Most of these documents are tabled in Parliament by the Minister of Finance on Budget Day.
- Minister's Executive Summary
- The Executive Summary is the overview of all the Budget information and contains the key points for the media and general public. It summarises the government's spending decisions and generally focuses on issues raised in the Budget Speech, Budget Economic and Fiscal Update and Fiscal Strategy Report.
- Budget Speech
- The Budget Speech is the Minister of Finance's speech at the start of Parliament's Budget debate. The Speech generally focuses on the overall fiscal and economic position, and how the government will fund its policy priorities.
- Fiscal Strategy Report
- The Fiscal Strategy Report sets out the government's fiscal strategy and measures how the government is progressing against its overall goals in areas such as balancing operating revenues and expenses, and achieving debt objectives. It includes fiscal trends covering at least the next ten years, and a comparison with progress towards the long-term fiscal objectives set out in the Budget Policy Statement 2009.
- Budget Economic and Fiscal Update 2009 (BEFU)
- This document includes Treasury's overall economic forecasts and forecast financial statements of the government. The Update includes the implications of government financial decisions and other information relevant to the fiscal and economic position. There is information available on this website that is not included in the printed documents.
- Estimates of Appropriations for the Government of New Zealand for the Year Ending 30 June 2010
- The Estimates show the authorised purposes and amounts of planned expenditure.
- Information Supporting the Estimates of Appropriations for the Government of New Zealand for the Year Ending 30 June 2010
- The Information Supporting the Estimates includes performance information for each "Vote" and forecast financial statements of departments that administer those Votes and references to the Statements of Intent of those departments.
- Supplementary Estimates of Appropriations for the Government of New Zealand and Supporting Information for the Year Ending 30 June 2009
- The Supplementary Estimates and Supporting Information show any changes to the amounts and purposes from information contained in the Estimates of Appropriations for 2008/2009.
- Budget Policy Statement 2009
- Budget Policy Statement 2009 was published conjointly with the Economic and Fiscal Forecasts December 2008 on 18 December 2008.
Ministers' Budget-Related Information
Material prepared by Ministers' offices and departments to explain some of the key Budget initiatives is available from the Beehive website's Budget 2009 page.
Treasury Budget-Related Information
Other material produced or published by the Treasury includes:
- Budget 2009 Information Release
- New Zealand Superannuation (NZS) Fund Contribution Rate Model - Includes information on the impact of the eleven-year contribution holiday on the capital contributions and the size of the New Zealand Superannuation (NZS) Fund.
- 2009/10 Domestic Debt Programme (NZDMO)
- Budget Data - Excel workbooks containing the source information for the tables contained in Budget 2009 documents (Summary, Trend, Appropriation and Revenue tables).
- Key Facts for Taxpayers - Summary of tax, expenditure and income data from the Budget Economic and Fiscal Update (BEFU).
- Fiscal Strategy Model
- Budget Process - Overview of how the Budget process works in New Zealand.
- A Guide to the Public Finance Act - This guide focuses on the legislative requirements of the Act in relation to departments, Offices of Parliament and the government as a whole.