Page updated 20 Jun 2008
This is the home page for Budget 2008 for the Government of New Zealand. Budget documents were released on Budget Day - 22 May 2008.
The core Budget documents available on the Treasury web site are listed below. Most of these documents are tabled in Parliament by the Minister of Finance on Budget day.
- Minister's Executive Summary
- The Executive Summary is the overview of all the Budget information and contains the key points for the media and general public. It summarises the Government's spending decisions and generally focuses on issues raised in the Budget Speech, Budget Economic and Fiscal Update and Fiscal Strategy Report.
- Budget Speech
- The Budget Speech is the Minister of Finance's speech at the start of Parliament's Budget debate. The Speech generally focuses on the overall fiscal and economic position, and how the Government will fund its policy priorities.
- Fiscal Strategy Report
- The Fiscal Strategy Report sets out the Government's fiscal strategy and measures how the Government is progressing against its overall goals in areas such as balancing operating revenues and expenses, and achieving debt objectives. It includes fiscal trends covering at least the next ten years, and a comparison with progress towards the long-term fiscal objectives set out in the Budget Policy Statement 2008.
- Budget Economic and Fiscal Update 2008 (BEFU)
- This document includes Treasury's overall economic forecasts and forecast financial statements of the Government. The Update includes the implications of government financial decisions and other information relevant to the fiscal and economic position. There is information available on this website that is not included in the printed documents.
- Estimates of Appropriations for the Government of New Zealand for the Year Ending 30 June 2009
- The Estimates outline the costs the Government plans to incur on each specified area within each "vote" for the coming year.
- Information Supporting the Estimates of Appropriations for the Government of New Zealand for the Year Ending 30 June 2009
- The Information Supporting the Estimates includes performance information for each "vote" and forecast financial statements of departments that administer those Votes and references to the Statements of Intent of those departments.
- Supplementary Estimates of Appropriations and Supporting Information for the Government of New Zealand for the Year Ending 30 June 2008
- The Supplementary Estimates and Supporting Information outline the additional money required to cover the current year's spending.
Ministers' Budget-Related Information
Material prepared by Ministers' offices and departments to explain some of the key Budget initiatives is available from the Beehive website's Budget 2008 page.
The Treasury is hosting the Government's information pages relating to the Personal Tax Package announced in Budget 2008.
Treasury Budget-Related Information
Other material produced or published by the Treasury includes:
- Budget 2008 - Information Release (20 June 2008) - Documents released by the Treasury relating to Ministers' Budget strategy for Budget 2008, key decisions by Cabinet, bilateral briefings, personal tax cuts policy development and other papers.
- Changes to the Documents Presented with the Budget
- Budget Data - Excel workbooks containing the source information for the tables contained in Budget 2008 documents (Summary, Trend, Appropriation and Revenue tables).
- Key Facts for Taxpayers - Summary of tax, expenditure and income data from the Budget Economic and Fiscal Update (BEFU).
- Fiscal Strategy Model
- New Zealand Superannuation (NZS) Fund Contribution Rate Model
- Budget Process - Overview of how the Budget process works in New Zealand.
- A Guide to the Public Finance Act - This guide focuses on the legislative requirements of the Act in relation to departments, Offices of Parliament and the government as a whole.