Budgets of the New Zealand Government
Page updated 26 Mar 2015
An overview of the New Zealand Government's Budget process and links to the most recent Budget documents as well as an archive of older Budgets.
The Minister of Finance has announced that Budget 2015 will be presented on 21 May 2015. Read the related media statement by Hon Bill English on the Beehive website: Finance Minister to present Budget on 21 May (11 February 2015).
Lock-up for Media and Economic and Financial Analysts
A Budget 2015 embargoed briefing for media and economic and financial analysts will be held on Thursday 21 May, under lock-up conditions, at the Banquet Hall in Parliament Buildings. Read the Media Advisory: Registrations open to attend Budget 2015 lock-up.
The Government has developed a social investment approach to improve services for New Zealanders most in need. As part of Budget 2015 the Treasury has issued a Request for Information inviting submissions from people who work with vulnerable New Zealanders as well as others whose input might help the Government invest to get better results.
Budget Policy Statement 2015
The Budget Policy Statement (BPS) 2015 was published on 16 December 2014.
See the Budget 2014 homepage for Budget documents released on Budget Day, 15 May 2014.
The Treasury's Role
The Treasury helps in the preparation of the government's annual Budget by:
- advising the Minister of Finance on Budget policy
- preparing the macroeconomic and fiscal forecasts
- compiling and processing budget initiative proposals from Vote Ministers, and
- preparing budget documents such as the Estimates, the Budget Economic and Fiscal Update and the Fiscal Strategy Report.
Other Key Publications and Links
Forecasts (Economic and Fiscal Updates)
- The Treasury's forecasts for government finances and the New Zealand economy are published at least twice a year in Budget documents called Economic and Fiscal Updates (EFUs).
- The Half Year Economic and Fiscal Update 2014 was published on 16 December 2014.
- The Pre-election Economic and Fiscal Update 2014 (PREFU) was published on 19 August 2014.
- Overview of the New Zealand government's Budget process, its key phases and the documents that make up the Budget.
- Putting It Together: An Explanatory Guide to New Zealand's State Sector Financial Management System (September 2011)