Budgets of the New Zealand Government
Page updated 8 Dec 2016
An overview of the New Zealand Government's Budget process and links to the most recent Budget documents as well as an archive of older Budgets.
The Budget Policy Statement 2016 was published on Thursday 8 December 2016.
The Minister of Finance, Hon Bill English delivered Budget 2016 on 26 May 2016.
The Budget Policy Statement 2016 was published on Tuesday 15 December 2015.
See the Budget 2016 homepage.
The Treasury's Role
The Treasury helps in the preparation of the government's annual Budget by:
- advising the Minister of Finance on Budget policy
- preparing the macroeconomic and fiscal forecasts
- compiling and processing budget initiative proposals from Vote Ministers, and
- preparing budget documents such as the Estimates, the Budget Economic and Fiscal Update and the Fiscal Strategy Report.
Other Key Publications and Links
Forecasts (Economic and Fiscal Updates)
- The Treasury's forecasts for government finances and the New Zealand economy are published at least twice a year in Budget documents called Economic and Fiscal Updates (EFUs).
- The Half Year Economic and Fiscal Update 2016 was published on 8 December 2016.
- The Budget Economic and Fiscal Update 2016 was published on 26 May 2016.
- Overview of the New Zealand government's Budget process, its key phases and the documents that make up the Budget.
- Putting It Together: An Explanatory Guide to New Zealand's State Sector Financial Management System (September 2011)