Budgets of the New Zealand Government
Page updated 16 Feb 2016
An overview of the New Zealand Government's Budget process and links to the most recent Budget documents as well as an archive of older Budgets.
The Minister of Finance, Hon Bill English has announced that Budget 2016 will be delivered on 26 May 2016. Budget material will be available at 2pm on Budget day.
The Budget Policy Statement 2016 was published on Tuesday 15 December 2015.
See the Budget 2016 homepage.
See the Budget 2015 homepage for Budget documents released on Budget Day, 21 May 2015.
The Treasury's Role
The Treasury helps in the preparation of the government's annual Budget by:
- advising the Minister of Finance on Budget policy
- preparing the macroeconomic and fiscal forecasts
- compiling and processing budget initiative proposals from Vote Ministers, and
- preparing budget documents such as the Estimates, the Budget Economic and Fiscal Update and the Fiscal Strategy Report.
Other Key Publications and Links
Forecasts (Economic and Fiscal Updates)
- The Treasury's forecasts for government finances and the New Zealand economy are published at least twice a year in Budget documents called Economic and Fiscal Updates (EFUs).
- The Half Year Economic and Fiscal Update 2015 was published on 15 December 2015.
- The Budget Economic and Fiscal Update 2015 was published on 21 May 2015.
- Overview of the New Zealand government's Budget process, its key phases and the documents that make up the Budget.
- Putting It Together: An Explanatory Guide to New Zealand's State Sector Financial Management System (September 2011)