Bona Vacantia (Ownerless) Property
Page updated 3 Mar 2014
The Treasury's Legal Team advises the Secretary to the Treasury on requests for the Crown to deal with bona vacantia property.
Information provided here includes:
- a general background to bona vacantia;
- an overview of the general principles applied by the Treasury when dealing with property of companies removed from the Companies Register
- an overview of the standard requirements to be met on a case by case basis for dealing with property that may be bona vacantia;
- information regarding fees; and
- information regarding timeframes.
Please note that while the Treasury’s Legal Team is able to provide you with information regarding bona vacantia applications, it does not provide legal advice to members of the public. Nothing on the Treasury’s website should be construed as legal advice.
If you require legal advice, you should obtain independent advice from an experienced legal practitioner. Further information on obtaining legal advice can be found at http://www.lawsociety.org.nz/.