2016 Schools Challenge Terms and Conditions
The following are the terms and conditions that must be met for a valid entry. All entrants accept these terms and conditions when they submit their entry form. Please read these terms and conditions carefully.
- Entries are open to all New Zealand secondary schools as specified by the Ministry of Education.
- All entries must be received via email, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Incomplete entries will not be accepted.
- Entries are limited to one team per school.
- Entries are not open to immediate relatives of employees of the Treasury.
- Teams must consist of a maximum of four students who are currently enrolled in a New Zealand secondary school and are in Year 12 or 13.
- Team members may be substituted if one or more members is no longer able to participate in the competition for any reason. Details of substitute team members must be submitted to Treasury. Substitute team members will be bound by these terms and condition.
Written submissions and presentations
- All written papers must be submitted via email, to email@example.com
- Finalists will need to provide presentation slides via email, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Treasury may publish, share, refer to, or otherwise use any written submission or presentation slides without the prior permission of the team that prepared it.
- All entrants agree to participate in any un-paid media/promotional programme (eg, press, TV interviews, etc.), as required by The Treasury.
- The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Entrants shall not contact judges for direct feedback on the judging process or results.
- Up to 10 teams will be chosen to go forward to the finals in Wellington based on the strength of their written submission. The exact number of teams brought to the finals in Wellington will be at the discretion of Treasury.
- Teams selected for the Wellington final will be notified, and the names posted on the Schools Challenge website and facebook page.
- A teacher must accompany teams to the finals.
- Teams agree to adhere to the judging time that is allocated and notify the competition coordinator if there are any problems.
- The winners will be announced within a week of the finals day. Each member of the winning team (up to 4 members) will be awarded a $500 electronics voucher and receive a scholarship valued at $2,000 to study at Victoria University of Wellington. Each member of the second and third-placed teams (up to four members per team) and the best speaker at the finals day will receive a $500 electronics voucher and a scholarship valued at $1,000 to study at Victoria University of Wellington.
- The scholarship will be awarded if and when the student is enrolled in a full-time programme of study at Victoria University of Wellington in 2017 or 2018. They must have attained University Entrance and the Guaranteed Entry Score for the programme they have chosen to study and be fully enrolled by the due dates (see www.victoria.ac.nz for admission and other enrolment requirements). The scholarship may be held in conjunction with a Victoria Excellence or Victoria Achiever Scholarship or other fees scholarship. The scholarship can be put towards tuition fees, accommodation costs in a Victoria University hall of residence only, or course-related costs (receipts must be presented).
- For finalist teams from schools that are located outside of the Greater Wellington Area, The Treasury will cover the cost of travel to and from Wellington up to $1,500 for each team (including one teacher). Further 'hardship' funding for travel expenses can be applied for and awarded at the discretion of the Treasury.
- The winning teams will spend a day at the Treasury on a date to be agreed between the Treasury and the school. The Treasury will cover all reasonable costs of travel to and from Wellington for each team member and one teacher for this trip.
- Any entrant failing to comply with these terms and conditions may be disqualified from the competition.
- The Treasury reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions or issue binding rulings on any matter not included in these terms and conditions. Such decisions shall be final.