Treasury Schools Challenge 2016
Page updated 14 Oct 2016
The Treasury challenges year 12 and 13 students all over the country to find ways to put together a Briefing for the Minister of Finance with policy recommendations to improve New Zealand's living standards.
The competition aims to:
- stimulate discussion and fresh debate on the Treasury's core work
- give students an opportunity to put themselves in the shoes of a Treasury analyst looking at real-world policy making
- encourage students to take an interest in economics and public policy as a career option.
Participating teams produce a paper setting out their proposals on the designated topic. The top 10 ranked teams are brought to Treasury to present their policies to a judging panel of Treasury analysts and Victoria University professors. Teams are assessed on their understanding of the issues, the originality and practicality of their analysis, and their presentation skills.
Final results for the 2016 Schools Challenge
- 1st place – Lindisfarne College
- 2nd place – James Hargest College
- 3rd place – Onslow College
Student Speaker Award – Andrew Tang, Scots College.
We were extremely impressed with the quality of entries this year, and the presentations of the top ten schools on Finals Day.
The Treasury held the prize giving ceremony on 27 July 2016. Sir Neville Jordan, Chancellor of Victoria University, Professor Bob Buckle, Pro Vice Chancellor and Girol Karacaoglu, Deputy Secretary (Chief Economist), the Treasury, presented the prizes to the three winning schools and the best speaker.
The project team did a fantastic job to make this year’s challenge successful. A special thanks to Lorraine Reid (Project Lead) for her inspirational leadership and organisation skills which ensured things ran smoothly.
2016 School Challenge Essays and Presentations
Below are the top 10 essays and presentations from 2016.
Schools Challenge Essays
- Lindisfarne College (541 KB) - 1st place
- James Hargest College (952 KB) - 2nd place
- Onslow College (325 KB) - 3rd place
- Christchurch Girls' High School (595 KB)
- Hillcrest High School (265 KB)
- King's High School (271 KB)
- Otago Boys' High School (959 KB)
- Rangitoto College (414 KB)
- Scots College (550 KB)
- Waikato Diocesan School for Girls (221 KB)
Schools Challenge Presentations
- Lindisfarne College - 1st place
- James Hargest College (2,980 KB) - 2nd place
- Onslow College (1,840 KB) - 3rd place
- Christchurch Girls' High School (1,045 KB)
- Hillcrest High School (888 KB)
- King's High School (1,092 KB)
- Otago Boys' High School (1,574 KB)
- Rangitoto College (1,339 KB)
- Scots College (2,650 KB)
- Waikato Diocesan School for Girls
Join Us on Facebook
Treasury website: http://www.treasury.govt.nz/abouttreasury/schoolschallenge