Higher Living Standards
Page updated 4 May 2015
Our vision is to be a world-class Treasury working for higher living standards for New Zealanders.
By living standards we mean much more than just income or GDP:
It includes a broad range of material and non-material factors which impact on well-being (such as trust, education, health and environmental quality).
This diagram summarises what we think are the important factors that we need to consider for achieving our goal of higher living standards.
The latest developments in our Living Standards Work
The latest Living Standards newsletter hls-newsletter-may15.pdf (PDF, 632KB) highlights relevant work by other agencies.
It reports on:
- The way Greater Wellington Regional Council and the Ministry of Social Development have used causal loop analysis to look at the links between indicators
- How the Environmental Reporting Bill will change the reporting system in this key area
It also provides a heads up of some reports that have either recently or will soon be released that may be of interest to people thinking about Living Standards.
If you would like the quarterly newsletter emailed to you then please contact email@example.com
Find out more about:
- What Treasury thinks is important for living standards from our working paper Working Towards Higher Living Standards for New Zealanders.
- The reason why Treasury chose these five aspects:
- Improving the Living Standards of New Zealanders: Moving from a Framework to Implementation (Speech by Dr Girol Karacaoglu).
- The related media statement by the Treasury: Papers a new tool for fresh thinking on raising living standards.
- Living Standards: The Heart of Our Policy Advice: sp-livingstandards-advice-oct14.pdf (220 KB).
- Support for people applying the Treasury framework through draft policy analyst guides and background notes. We would like to encourage feedback on these. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Dimension||Draft Analyst Guide||Background Notes or Further Reading|
|Economic Growth||hls-ag-econgrow-jan13.pdf (99 KB)||hls-bg-econgrow-jan13.pdf (81 KB)|
|Sustainability for the Future||hls-ag-sust-jan13.pdf (500 KB)||Statistics New Zealand Sustainable Development Website|
|Increasing Equity||hls-ag-equity-jan13.pdf (128 KB)||hls-bg-equity-feb14.pdf (408 KB)|
|Social Infrastructure||hls-ag-socinfr-jan13.pdf (157 KB)||hls-bg-socinfr-jul13.pdf (801 KB)|
|Managing Risks||hls-ag-risks-jan13.pdf (117 KB)||hls-bg-risks-jan13.pdf (109 KB)|
|How the four capitals relate to the five points||hls-capitals-and-points.pdf (483 KB)|
- A living standards hub that anyone can join at www.gen.org.nz where we are encouraging researchers to contribute to an evidence base that is available to everyone working in this area.
- Raising living standards is core Treasury business, an article by Dr Girol Karacaoglu published in the National Business Review on Friday 15 November
Our next steps are ...
- working collaboratively with others across the public sector to develop measures for each of the five key aspects. New Zealand's performance over the last 150 years: hls-performance-150years.pdf (651 KB)
- using the Living Standards aid in our work, and assess whether it improves our policy advice
- building on the Living Standards Hub to work with others to develop our framework further.