Higher Living Standards
Page updated 8 Mar 2017
Our vision is to be a world-class Treasury working for higher living standards for New Zealanders.
By living standards we mean much more than just income or GDP:
It includes a broad range of material and non-material factors which impact on well-being (such as trust, education, health and environmental quality).
This diagram summarises what we think are the important factors that we need to consider for achieving our goal of higher living standards.
The latest news about our Living Standards Work
Read our latest newsletter, hls-newsletter-jun16.pdf (PDF, 273 KB), to hear about:
- Deputy-Secretary Girol Karacaoglu’s experience with taking the Living Standards framework to Europe
- Deloitte’s recently released State of the State report
- What is the IDI – and how to find out
- An invitation to a talk in Auckland
If you would like to have the newsletter emailed to you please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Find out more about:
- What Treasury thinks is important for living standards from our working paper Working Towards Higher Living Standards for New Zealanders.
- The reason why Treasury chose these five aspects:
- Improving the Living Standards of New Zealanders: Moving from a Framework to Implementation (Speech by Dr Girol Karacaoglu).
- The related media statement by the Treasury: Papers a new tool for fresh thinking on raising living standards.
- Living Standards: The Heart of Our Policy Advice: sp-livingstandards-advice-oct14.pdf (220 KB).
- Support for people applying the Treasury framework through draft policy analyst guides and background notes. We would like to encourage feedback on these. Contact us at email@example.com.
|Dimension||Draft Analyst Guide||Background Notes or Further Reading|
|An Introduction to Using the Living Standards Framework||his-usingtheframework-v2.pdf (853 KB)|
|Economic Growth||hls-ag-econgrow-jan13.pdf (99 KB)||hls-bg-econgrow-jan13.pdf (81 KB)|
|Sustainability for the Future||hls-ag-sust-jan13.pdf (500 KB)||Statistics New Zealand Sustainable Development Website|
|Increasing Equity||hls-ag-equity-jan13.pdf (128 KB)||hls-bg-equity-dec15.pdf (1,716 KB)|
|Social Cohesion||hls-ag-socinfr-feb17.pdf (215 KB)||hls-bg-socinfr-jul13.pdf (801 KB)|
|Managing Risks||hls-ag-risks-jan13.pdf (117 KB)||hls-bg-risks-jan13.pdf (109 KB)|
|How the four capitals relate to the five points||hls-capitals-and-points.pdf (483 KB)|
- A living standards hub that anyone can join at www.gen.org.nz where we are encouraging researchers to contribute to an evidence base that is available to everyone working in this area.
- Raising living standards is core Treasury business, an article by Dr Girol Karacaoglu published in the National Business Review on Friday 15 November
Our next steps are ...
- working collaboratively with others across the public sector to develop measures for each of the five key aspects. New Zealand's performance over the last 150 years: hls-performance-150years.pdf (651 KB)
- using the Living Standards aid in our work, and assess whether it improves our policy advice
- building on the Living Standards Hub to work with others to develop our framework further.