The Treasury

Global Navigation

Personal tools

You are here: Home > About Treasury > Careers at the Treasury > Overseas Applicants


Overseas Applicants

Page updated 21 Feb 2014

Working in New Zealand

We welcome applications from people living overseas. If you want to work in New Zealand, please note that you must:

  1. be a New Zealand citizen or New Zealand Residence Permit holder, or
  2. be an Australian citizen or an Australian resident who holds a current Australian Resident Return Visa or,
  3. have lawful authority to work in New Zealand which includes a Work Permit with conditions that allow the holder to work in the position applied for, or
  4. have a variation of condition to a Visitor or Student Permit that allows such work.

People in New Zealand on a Working Holiday Scheme Permit are not permitted to take up permanent employment.

Some roles require security clearances that can only be held by New Zealand citizens. Our advertising information will specify this if it is a condition.


Obtaining a Work Permit

Page top